1938 Lagonda V12 Drophead Coupe
British first delivery with factory body and extensive documentation
Wilbur A. Gunn was an engineer and a passionate opera singer. He emigrated from the USA to England at the end of the 19th century. There he founded the Lagonda company in 1899 and began building motorbikes.
Over the years, Lagonda expanded its range to include numerous car models and quickly made a name for exclusivity and sportiness.
The world economic crisis also hit Lagonda hard until the mid-1930s. Sales figures were miserable and in 1935 the company was economically up against the wall and for sale. It was the victory in the legendary endurance race, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, that helped enormously to find a motivated buyer.
Alan P. Good bought the company in the summer of 1935 and with his new technical director, Walter Owen Bentley and the young coachbuilder Frank Feeley, exciting new models were created in this new Lagonda era. W. O. Bentley was able to break away from his unpopular employer Rolls-Royce after five years and developed powerful and convincing engines again.
Thus, the Lagonda V12 was one of a small group of cars that could reach a top speed of over 100 miles per hour - an incredible achievement by the standards of the time!
The Lagonda V12 Drophead Coupe shown here was delivered new to the UK in 1938 to H. L. Quartermaine and registered on 30 July that year. According to the Lagonda Club, the car has been with a collector in Switzerland and in the famous Schlumpf collection in Mulhouse, France, among others.
In 1992, Jacques Harguindeguy of Walnut Creek, California imported the Lagonda V12 into the US. In 2010 the car was shipped back to the UK and was last part of a fantastic collection here in Germany of one of our long-time clients.
The scope of delivery includes a detailed documentation of the car’s history. We also have the Lagonda factory built sheets, which confirm that the Lagonda was delivered with an ex-factory body.